Acetone with Glycerin Remover Update

Friday, February 17, 2012
I wanted to make a followup post to the acetone with glycerin mixture that I posted about a while ago. A few people who tried it, commented that it was a bit too oily and while the oiliness didn't bother me too much, there is always room to improve. When I ran out, I decided to slightly rework the formula. In addition, this time around I had the infamous Zoya Remove+ to compare to. Looking at the Remove+ formula which contains: Acetone, Water, Glycerine, Fragrance, and color I knew the ingredients are right and it was just a matter of proportions.

For my second attempt, I started out with acetone and added glycerin in little by little until I could see a separation between the two liquids forming at the bottom. Then I added bottled water a little bit at a time until there was no longer a separation. This resulted in a much smaller glycerin to acetone ratio.

The new mixture is a lot less oily, while still very moisturizing and not as harsh as pure acetone. It feels a lot more like Remove+, but without the strong fragrance which gives me a headache. Below is the old (empty) bottle on the left and the new bottle on the right.



Here is a quick tutorial on how you can make this yourself...
1. Start with any amount of acetone you want
2. Add glycerin in small amounts and shake/mix to incorporate. Repeat this until the glycerin no longer completely dissolves in the acetone (see last photo)
3. Using distilled, purified, or bottled water add a little bit at a time and shake to mix. Repeat this until you no longer see a separation between acetone and glycerin. Water helps the glycerin dissolve in the acetone completely.
4. All done, time to test it out! :)


Here is what it should look like at step 2 when the glycerin and acetone no longer mix. You can see the separation of the two in the corner of the bottle. It is very slight when adding glycerin in small amounts so just keep checking the bottom...


That's all there is to it! No measuring required and it is really simple once you try...

I would love to know if you try this and what you think about it!

For more info on the chemistry behind this take a look at this blog post from loodie loodie loodie who my inspiration came from...


Thanks for looking!
Anutka :)