Ulta - Glitterati Mini Set

Friday, December 9, 2011
Glitterati is the second of the two mini lacquer sets from Ulta. You can see swatches of the first one from yesterday here. This set should have been called Dupe Town because every polish looks like a Deborah Lippmann dupe. Now I don't own any of the originals to truly compare them, but I have seen many swatches and have dupes for two of them that I will compare. We'll see if these are true dupes of the dupes :D

Left to right (index to pinkie finger): Hide and Go Sequins, Fashionably Late, Black Tie Affair, Glamoflauge



Hide and Go Sequins: A deep blue jelly base with small blue glitter and large blue and green hex glitter. This is three coats plus a top coat. From swatches I've seen it looks like a dupe for Deborah Lippman’s Across The Universe. I don't plan on getting the original since I hear that Essence Blue Addicted is a dupe for it as well. When/if I get the Essence polish I will compare this dupe to the other dupe. :)


Fashionably Late: A black jelly base with small square and large hex glitter. Application was decent. I'm not the biggest fan of working with glitter though. This one is a Deborah Lippmann Ruby Red Slippers wannabe. I do have Wet 'n Wild Behind Closed doors which is also a Lippmann dupe so I will compare this one to the WnW. This is three coats plus a top coat.


Black Tie Affair: This was my favorite of the set. Application was perfect. This is two coats plus a top coat. It is a gray base with micro silver and larger hex glitter. The hex glitter in this is smaller than the other polishes. I think this was meant to be a Deborah Lippmann’s Today Was A Fairytale dupe, but even from swatches I can see the hex glitter is smaller and the whole polish is darker than the Lippmann. Or maybe it is a dupe for something else? Anyone know?


Glamoflauge: A black jelly with small dot and large hex purple glitter. This is two coats plus a top coat. A Deborah Lippmann's Bad Romance wannabe. I will compare this to Revlon's Facets of Fuchisa which is claimed to be a true Lippmann dupe.


Below are some comparisons to the two Lippmann dupes that I do own. I already mentioned that I don't own Essence Blue Addicted to compare Ulta's Hide and Go Sequins to. Also, I'm not sure if there are any other dupes for Lippmann's Today Was A Fairytale.

Left to Right: Wet 'n Wild Behind Closed Doors, Ulta Fashionably Late, Revlon Facets of Fuchsia, Ulta Glamoflauge

Index to pinkie finger: Wet 'n Wild Behind Closed Doors, Ulta Fashionably Late, Revlon Facets of Fuchsia, Ulta Glamoflauge

Wet 'n Wild Behind Closed Doors vs. Ulta Fashionably Late: Three coats + a top coat for each.
WnW was much much thinner and harder to apply. I found it to be more frustrating than the Ulta version. Both took three coats to build up to full opacity. The hex glitter in the Ulta polish seem to have a bit of a curl to them where the WnW one does not. Also the small glitter in the Ulta polish appears to be square vs the WnW it is round and a bit finer. Otherwise glitter density is about the same. I would say it is a good dupe of the dupe, but not exact for sure. I will let you judge how it compares to the original.

Revlon Facets of Fuchsia vs. Ulta Glamoflauge: Two coats + a top coat for each.
I can see a definite difference between the two. The Ulta polish has a darker base and less glitter. Enough said I think. Not a true dupe. Maybe if Ulta crammed more glitter into their polish it would be a closer match.

The other difference I noticed between the polishes was when I was removing them, the Ulta hex glitters in all the polishes turned silver. It was as though it was silver glitter painted red, purple, blue, etc and the acetone just stripped all the color off leaving them silver. The glitter in the WnW and Revlon polishes stayed red and purple even after removing them. I guess it is not a big deal as long as it doesn't lose the color on the nail, but was still a bit of a surprise to me.

Here is what the set looks like... I got this one for around $2 as after Thankgsiving since it was on sale for $2.99 and I added a coupon for $3.50 off $10 purchase.


What do you think? Are these worth getting or not?

Thanks for looking!
Anutka :)