Day 26 - Inspired by a Pattern

Friday, November 25, 2011
I have wanted to try the plaid pattern on my nails for quite some time, but have been too intimidated by the fine lines. I knew I couldn't avoid it any longer when today's challenge finally rolled around. The fine detail in the pattern took me so long to paint that I gave up after these four nails and this sadly never made it to a full manicure. I do love how it turned out and hopefully after I get more practice drawing tiny lines, I can recreate this on a full manicure. The whole time I couldn't help but think that it looked as though I had a cozy flannel shirt on my nails :D

I started out with two coats of Wet 'n Wild Red Red. It is a bright, classic red with a touch of raspberry thrown in. I forgot to take swatch photos of it by itself. Must have been too excited to start. For the pattern I used black, white, and red acrylic paint. I mixed the three colors to create the two shades of gray for the wide stripes. Then I accented them with pure black, white and red stripes.

Here is the result...


I definitely need more practice with the lines and keeping a steady hand, but I think it is not bad overall.

I'd love to know what you think, so don't be shy :)

Thanks for looking!
Anutka :)