Tutorial Tuesday: Silver Tips

Tuesday, January 10, 2012
I had a few questions about how I did the tips for my Chanukah manicure back in December, so I promised a tutorial. Just to set the record straight, I did not freehand the lines, although I wish I was good enough to do that :D. I hope this tutorial helps those of you who wanted to try it.


Supplies:
- Base and accent polishes of choice. I used Ulta Wild Night for the base and Sally Hansen Celeb City for the tips
- Striping tape in any color (I bought mine on ebay, just search "striping tape" if interested)
- Scotch tape or painter's tape
- Scissors
Step 1:
- Apply desired number of coats of your base color
- Allow polish to dry completely!
Step 2:
- Once the polish is dry, apply a piece of striping tape a desired distance from the tip.
Step 3:
- Place a piece of scotch or painter's tape a desired distance from the striping tape.

Step 4:
- Paint the tip of the nail with the accent polish, making sure to cover all tape free areas of the nail
Step 5:
- Carefully remove the scotch tape

NOTE: Do not wait for the polish to dry, remove the tape right away.
Step 6:
- Remove the striping tape to reveal the double lines
- Add a top coat and you are done!

NOTE: when doing a full manicure, paint and un-tape one nail at a time. Doing multiple nails at a time will increase the chance that the polish starts to set and the tape will not come off cleanly.


I hope you enjoyed this quick tutorial. I would love to hear your thoughts or questions about it or if you try it! Also, let me know what you like/don't like about the tutorial so I can improve for next time :D

Thanks for looking!
Anutka :)