Franken Gone Wrong...

Tuesday, March 19, 2013
I wanted to show you a little frankening experiment that I tried over the weekend. I had set out to make a DIY gold leaf top coat. There are a few tutorial floating out there and they seemed simple enough. Start with some clear polish and gold leaf from the craft store, mix the two together and voila... cheap gold leaf top coat. I was really excited to make it and try it out for St. Patty's day. Here are my supplies all ready go to...


I tore up 4 sheets of gold leaf and then realized I'd have one heck of a time trying to get them into the bottle, so I scrunched them up into little wads of gold leaf (not my brightest idea by the way)...


Here are the wads of gold leaf after I dropped them into the clear polish (yes, that is four sheets worth of gold leaf). They instantly started releasing bubbles, which was kind of strange, but I let is slide. I shook the heck out of this mixture to break apart the wads of gold leaf. Twenty minutes later it still wasn't good enough to be used, so I gave up and set it aside for another day, thinking I would worry about it later. Really, those little wads were not the brightest idea...


The next day I was ready to revisit the top coat only to find this green mess...


It has actually gotten even darker since I took this photo. The green is quite beautiful, but not really what I was going for. I thought it was fascinating and maybe you'll agree. I've heard of people being successful in making a gold leaf top coat so I'm not sure what went wrong here. Is it something in the polish? Would a different base have been better? Maybe something is wrong with this gold leaf? Maybe all of the above? So many questions! I can't decide if I should keep experimenting or just buy one before I end up spending more money experimenting that it would cost to get the real thing...

Have any of you tried this before and gotten it to work without turning green? Or has this happened to you also?

UPDATE: By popular request, check out the swatches of this franken here...

Thanks for looking!
Anutka :)