Tips & Tricks: Dotting Tool Alternatives

Tuesday, February 26, 2013
While trying to put together a tutorial for my recent dotted manicure, I started to think about other things around the house that can be used as dotting tools if one was not available. Here is what I found so far...


  • Push pins - these can create very fine dots, just be careful not to pin yourself in the process
  • Toothpick or wooden barbecue skewer
  • Plastic dental pick
  • Mechanical pencil (0.5mm) - I actually use this a lot even when I have a dotting nearby
  • Mechanical pencil (0.7mm)
  • Paper clip
  • Old pen - might not work afterwards, so don't try with a pen you love...
  • Small flat head pin - stuck into the eraser end of a pencil to prevent painful pricks...
  • Round head pin - also stuck into an eraser...
  • Brush handle tip

What other things have you tried making dots with?

Hopefully this is useful for some of you!
Let me know if you are interested in seeing other random tips & tricks for nail art...

Thanks for looking!
Anutka :)